Canyon Slope Square
This was the most challenging project that I have worked on in my career…[the] team at Benchmark Engineering did a magnificent job of satisfying all of these issues to make a beautiful project.
– Kevin L. Ludlow
The Canyon Slope Square project in Holladay, Utah is a commercial development including a Hyatt Place Hotel, retail shops and multiple restaurants. Formally owned by the US Forest Service, the property did not generate any tax revenue. Now the property generates over $400,000 of tax revenue to Granite School District, the city of Holladay, and Salt Lake County per year combined.
The various challenges for this project included:
- Relocating and burying an open drainage ditch (Heughs Canyon Drainage) exceeding 300 feet in length.
- Installing new water mains around an existing sewer main that could not be moved.
- Designing the finished grades on the retaining walls for expanded and tiered parking.
- Designing a new “in and out” road access for the development that sits on a constant five to six percent slope (approx. 80 feet of drop on the site).
- Removing an existing water easement from a vacated water main.
- Designing a looped water main large enough for fire flow with high velocities due to the slopes.
Formally owned by the US Forest Service, the property did not generate any tax revenue. Now the property generates over $400,000 of tax revenue to Granite School District (benefiting the children), the city of Holladay, and Salt Lake County per year combined.
3090 East 6200 South, Holladay, Utah
Best management practices were used for the civil engineering of site including pollutant control for storm water (two sand/oil separators), low maintenance landscaping, and grading of the site to minimize debris/pollutants/etc. from entering public streets and adjoining properties.
Benchmark Engineering & Land Surveying, L.L.C.
9138 South State Street, Suite 100 Sandy, Utah, 84070